Monday, June 18, 2007

June 2007


Big lettuce harvest this weekend. Sold out all the lettuce and and radishes at the South Kingstown Farmer's Market on Saturday 6/16. The lettuce is still coming strong, but hot weather is expected this week, so some (especially the arugula) may bolt. I am using row covers to keep the temp down a few degrees and hopefully that will help a little. The peppers are starting to flower and it won't belong before we are deluged with pods! I picked some basil on Sunday and made a pesto. Pretty soon we will be selling tons of basil at the farmer's market. Corn is getting taller by the day and almost all the squash seeds have sprouted. All squash rows are covered. I will have to keep an eye on them and take the row covers off when they flower. Blueberries have set and I covered the mature bushes so we will get a few berries instead of the birds! Tomatoes and eggplant both look strong, but no flowers yet. Beets sprouted way up this week and I will thin them next week and add the greens to my mesclun mix for the farmer's market. Sunflowers look great and a few of the potted ones should flower this week.

No comments: