Tuesday, July 17, 2007

July 2007


Sunflowers are starting to pop at One Love Farm! I planted a variety of sunflowers this year. Lots are from seeds I saved last year. I also bought a wide variety of seeds. There will be many colors and sizes of sunflowers from 12 inch stems to giants well over six feet! Right now the dark reds are blooming. I expect to have blooms for at least the next month and probably well into September.

Beets were very popular in my first week of harvest at the farmer's market. I expect to harvest from the beet patch for the next few weeks. Basil continues to come on strong and I expect to harvest until frost. I picked the first eggplant of the year and now squash is ready for harvest. For the next several weeks, we will be picking lots and lots of squash. Peppers are doing well. Now it is a matter of time before they turn red and are ready to be picked. Karen picked some blueberries for our dessert. With only two mature bushes (there are 30 more that should produce fruit in the coming years), we won't be selling any blueberries at the farmer's market. I covered the peach trees in hopes of saving the few peaches that the birds have not already taken for themselves.

No comments: