Sunday, April 20, 2008

Greenhouse - completed (finally)


After weeks of experimenting I have come to the conclusion that with regular 40-50mph spring winds, we cannot have a greenhouse made of PVC at One Love Farm. Even with all the steps I took to solidify the greenhouse, the PVC pipes were still vulnerable at the connections. During the last big wind storm several joints failed and I had to take down the greenhouse for good. The only viable solution will be to use a steel or wood frame, which I will consider next year.

In the meantime, I have used the 6mil greenhouse plastic and shorter PVC hoops to cover raised beds. This is a good solution, but with the much shorter hoops I will not be able to walk into the hoop houses and watering seedlings under the plastic will be quite a chore. However, I do have lots of space for seedlings and overall am very happy with this temporary solution.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, have you ever measured the temperature inside the greenhouse in summer?