Monday, September 7, 2009

Peppers


I've been talking all summer about the tough growing season due to an unusually wet and cool summer. Chilis (peppers) generally prefer hot and dry conditions, so it has not been a banner year for them. However, we are getting chilis right now. Some of the best are sweet bell and Pablano. From the picture above, you can see that the pablano chili plants are producing well. Pablano are great in salsa or roasted on the grill. I also like them with beans and rice. My favorite way to have Pablanos is to stuff them with mashed potatoes and cheese and roast them in the oven. Or, can stuff them with beans and rice and roast them in the oven. If you have some time, try making Chilis Rellanos. Here is a vegan variation on the classic, but if you want yours to be vegetarian, try this recipe. Or, Google Chili Rellanos if you want to find another recipe, there are a million different variations!

I am growing Paprika for the first time. However, the fruit on the plant doesn't look like the paprika peppers from the seed catalog where I ordered them. I am hoping that they turn color, but for now it looks like I'll have to wait til next year for my first paprika peppers at One Love Farm.

No comments: