Monday, April 19, 2010

Out with the old


Ripping out six raised beds that measured 20' by 5' by 8 inches tall was no easy feat. Some of the wood was so rotted it crumbled in my hands. Some of it was almost as good as new, which presented a major disposal problem. You see, my local trash pick up would not take the lumber I removed from the beds. So, I bought the Bagster. This handy little "Dumpster in a bag" is 8 feet by 4 feet and 3 feet high. The 10 foot boards were too long to fit in the Bagster. In the end, not only did I have to rip out the wood from the ground and transport it to the curb where the Bagster resides, but I had to saw a bunch of the intact boards in half so they would fit. In actuality, I didn't really have to saw them all the way in half. I cut about halfway through the board and then finished the job by stomping on the lumber with my foot. We're not going for precision cuts after all! With that messy job complete I can now focus on the next stage of the project which is to fill the beds with compost. Smithfield Peat delivered ten yards of compost so I've got plenty to last a good long while!

No comments: