Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Garlic

I know I sound like a broken record (do people under 30 even know what that expression means>) but I am amazed at the early harvest we are getting this season. Tomatoes in mid July! Lavender three weeks early! And now, garlic in mid July! Normally, garlic is harvested in late summer or early fall, but not this year.

I bought some garlic from Kenyon Mills last fall. As you can see from the picture above, it is a purple hardneck variety. People sometimes ask me why I don't braid the garlic like they see in country stores and out west in California. The reason is that there are two varieties or garlic. Hardneck and Softneck. As the name implies, hardneck garlic has a hard stem, which prevents braiding. However, it keeps well and tastes great!

I still have quite a bit of garlic in the same bed that I planted this spring. The bulbs are getting big but have not formed cloves yet, so they are staying in the ground until later in the fall. In the end, I may get to harvest some garlic in the fall after all!

No comments: