Friday, May 20, 2011

Rainy Day, Dream Away


If it seemed like this spring was rainier than normal, you are right. In Rhode Island we got a lot more rain than last year (but thankfully not the 500 year flood like last year). Temperatures were also much cooler. While we had several 70 degree days in April and May last year, and even one day in the 90s(!), this year we only have had a couple of 70 degree days and no days in the 80s.

As a result of the rain and cool temperatures, plant growth has been stunted. Last year I bragged about early lettuce and getting tomatoes three weeks ahead of schedule. On May 16th, 2010 I posted about Dianthus blooming. Today, it is barely budded out and won't bloom for at least another week. Last year, poppies were blooming at this time, today only a coupe of heads have formed.

But, the good news is that the weather has broken. Newport was foggy and rainy today. But as soon as I got over the Jamestown Bridge, the sun was out and the skies were blue! I got home and picked a salad of lettuce and radishes for dinner and enjoyed it with a glass of wine from Puglia (Italy). Best of all, I can share some of this bounty with the folks who shop at the Richmond Farmers Market. Although the harvest is small because of the cool weather, I will have lettuce micro greens and radishes at the market tomorrow. I hope you can be there.

No comments: