Friday, August 19, 2011

Tomatillo


Looking back at the four years I have been doing this blog, I'm surprised that I have never posted about tomatillos, because we've been growing them for so long and love cooking with them. Also known as husk tomatoes, tomatillos are used in Mexican dishes. Tomatillos are easy to grow. In fact, I have not planted tomatillos in about six years because they reseed easily. I have tomatillos growing 200 feet away from the original bed. Likely a bird carried the seed or I tossed an overripe one and the seeds sprouted the next spring.

I've seen lots of recipes for Tomatillo Salsa. Here is a link to a recipe from the New York Times food section. But, I much prefer roasting the tomatillos. Be sure to wash the tomatillos in warm water first. The tomatillos have a sticky film on them that washes off easily. Then roast them in the oven until they are nice and soft (some of the tomatillos will get brown on the top). Let the tomatillos cool and add onion, garlic, cilantro, salt and a cayenne pepper. Blend in a food processor and serve with chips.

No comments: