Sunday, October 16, 2011

Sage


Yesterday I cut some Sage for the Richmond Farmers' Market and our own kitchen at One Love Farm. When we sell Sage, people always ask what to do with it. There are tons of uses for Sage, some culinary, some fragrant and some ceremonial.

Sage goes very well with carrots, so we like to cook Carrots in butter and Sage. Just blanch the Carrots in boiling salt water for a minute or two until they are al dente. Then, put them in a saute pan with butter until they are just starting to caramelize. Add Sage (either whole leaves or chopped) and let the leaves wilt. Serve hot. You can also do the same recipe, but add Scallions and toss over hot bow tie pasta. Serve with Parmesan Cheese and hot pepper flakes or Chili Powder

I also like to burn dried Sage as a sort of incense. I've posted about this before. Native Peoples have used Sage for cleansing ceremonies. Yesterday, I gave some Sage to my friend Allen, a world famous artist. He is getting ready to open his shop selling his handmade Native American Wampum, created in the traditional style. Allen told me he will use the Sage in the traditional way, to cleanse a new space of negative energy.

No comments: