Sunday, April 22, 2012

What is this?

The pictures above are of a wildflower that blooms in my lawn every spring. A friend once told me that she thought they were Forget Me Nots. But, after doing some research, I found that all Forget Me Nots have five pedals. And, as you can see, these tiny flowers have four. I also thought they might be wild strawberry flowers. Before being cut up into housing tracts, the area where I live used to be a strawberry and pumpkin farm, so wild strawberry would make sense. But, when I inspected the flowers more closely, I saw that they were not a part of the wild strawberry plants that grow in my lawn.

So, what is it? Take a look at the pictures and tell me if you can identify this flower.

A quick word about lawns. Yesterday, I cut the grass for the first time this year. When the original farm was out and houses were built in the 90s, most of the agricultural fields were sodded over. At One Love Farm, one of our goals has been to try and return some of that land to it's original use as farmland. Therefore, I'm not a fan of lawns or grass. My feeling is that most grasses are not native species. Their maintance forces us humans to use lots of resourses, like water, that could be put to better use. Lawns also consume massive amounts of chemicals (fertilizer and and broad leaf herbicides) whose run off contaminates our drinking water. Finally, the oil and gas that is burned in our tractors to cut the grass pollutes our atmosphere.

That said, I have a tractor that I use to cut my ever shrinking lawn, so I am guilty of polluting our air as well. But, I refuse to spray the lawn with herbicide to kill native plants like clover, wild strawberry and dandelion, plants that most people think of as undesirable weeds. I also refuse to water the lawn, allowing it to go dormant in the hot summer. I believe that these practices allow a natural habitat in the ecosystem to thrive. And produce flowers like whatever that one is called.

No comments: