Monday, July 30, 2012

Basil

I was surprised to find that I haven't often posted about basil in this blog. It is my favorite herb and we grow lots of it at One Love Farm. Maybe because basil is so easy to grow and prolific is why it gets overlooked.

Basil prefers well drained soil amended with compost. I plant basil from seed because it is so easy to germinate. Just sow directly in the ground in late spring after the last threat of frost has passed. Water daily until they sprout. No need to thin out the plants as they grow well even when crowded.

I harvest basil when the plants get about 18" high by cutting them about 6" above ground level. Make sure there are at least a few leaves visible below where you make the cut as the basil plant will send out more leaves allowing you to cut the plant again in about two weeks. This way you will have basil until frost.

Most people use basil for pesto, but it is great in salads or with fresh tomatoes and mozzerella cheese.

1 comment:

NewportSue said...

I find the pests don't like the smell of basil as much as I do. If all of my other plants fail, I can always count on my basil. THanks for the idea to put it in a salad...what a nice fresh flavor it brings.