Monday, June 20, 2011

Peas




I have not planted peas in many years. When I got my first house in Warwick, I tried to plant peas a couple of times, but they never germinated. I can't explain why they never sprouted, maybe I planted them too early, maybe too late. Maybe they were over watered or not watered enough. Whatever the reason, I didn't plant peas for ten years figuring it was just not meant for me to have peas in my garden.

This spring I decided to give peas another try. I planted them in early spring in a raised bed with a lot of compost worked in. I built a small trellis for the peas to climb and watered the seed bed every day until they sprouted ten days later! The pea tendrils climbed up the trellis and tons of white flowers covered the vines. The next week I was picking pea pods and steaming them with other veggies for dinner. The great thing about peas is that they keep coming for weeks, so we will have a supply of fresh peas well into July. If you have more peas than you and your neighbors can eat, blanch them and freeze them.

No comments: