Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Yarrow



Nine years ago, Karen's brother and I built a formal patio with brick pavers. The job was brutal in the August sun and with all the bending and crouching, I could barely walk for a week afterwards. The next summer I got three pallets of irregular flagstone for an informal area. I planted some thyme, iceplant and a few other herbs to fill in the spots between the flagstones. One of those plants that I used was Yarrow.

Yarrow has been used by humans for centuries as both a food and medicine. In fact, Achilles was said to have his army carry it because of its use in stopping bleeding from battle wounds. Too bad Yarrow couldn't stop a spear to the heel, eh Achilles?

Yarrow spreads quickly and as you can see, it has taken over a large part of the flagstone garden. When the Yarrow blooms in June, we get a sea of tiny white flowers. In July, the flowers turn brown and the plant starts to look ratty. So I will cut them down to show off the flowering thyme behind the Yarrow.

No comments: