Sunday, September 25, 2011

Grapes


Cluster of Grapes

Destemmed Grapes

Extracting Juice from Grapes

Grape Juice ready to made into Sorbet

Cabernet Sorbet

When we first moved to Hope Valley in 2002, one of the first thing I did was plant grape vines. My intention was to make from my own grapes. Unfortunately, the weather never got warm enough for the grapes and the wine produced was just OK. I ripped out the vines after a couple of years and bought grapes for California to make my own wine.

But, one rouge vine persists and today I picked the grapes, just a few pounds, but still tasty. In the past, I've made grape jam, but today I decided to make a sorbet from the grapes. After destemming, deseeding and getting rid of the skins, I used the juice with some organic sugar to make a sorbet mix. But, the mix needed a little something else, so we added a glass of Cabernet which gave the Sorbet a great depth of flavor. Not to mention a great deep color.

1 comment:

Louise Ruggeri said...

Wow! Cabernet sorbet? Sounds amazing!