Monday, September 3, 2012

Succession Planting

I've been preaching the gospel of succession planting since 2010. In 2011, I posted about the advantages of succession planting with lettuce and radishes. This year, I talked about succession planting with bulbs and carrots and beets.

This week, I will be posted pictures and talking about succession planting in action. The reason this is so important is because it extends your growing season by weeks and months AND produces a MUCH bigger harvest!

Thoughout May of this year, I was harvesting tons of arugula for our meals and to sell at the Richmond Farmers' Market. By June, it was done and I planted carrots in the spot where the arugula was planted. That is the first example of succession planting. Then, when the carrots were done in late July, I prepped the beds with organic fertilizer and compost. This is important in succession planting. The prior crop, in this case carrots, have used the nutrients in the soil to grow nice big veggies. Now, the soil needs to be replenished for the next crop. I add some granular organic fertilizer and compost to the bed and make sure to add liquid seaweed fertilizer every two to three weeks during the growing season.

In early August I planted the arugula. Even though it was hot in early August and arugula is a cool weather crop, I was hoping that by the time the arugula would be ready for harvest in early September, the temps would be cooler. Indeed, we have had a couple of weeks with nighttime temperatures in the 50's, conditions that arugula loves. So, I will be enjoying arugula salad this week and have plenty to sell at the Richmond Farmers' Market on Saturday.

No comments: