Sunday, March 13, 2011

Garlic Scapes



I've posted about garlic scapes here and here in the past. But, I've always posted during the time of year when I am harvesting them. Whenever I display them at the farmers market, people always ask me how to prepare garlic scapes. My favorite way to use garlic scapes is in pesto. Stored in sterized jars or freezer bags, garlic scape pesto can be frozen and enjoyed year round. I always have several jars in the freezer and one in the fridge for everyday use. We drop spoonfuls of garlic scape pesto in sauces (it's wonderful in marinara) and soups. We use garlic scape pesto in rice, couscous, omlettes, pizza and bread.

Today, I made a bean soup inspried by a dish I saw prepared on TV. I took some Italian bread and grilled it with Garlic Scape Pesto. Beans with Rosemary, olive oil, salt and pepper goes on the grilled bread. Some vegetable broth moistens the grilled bread and beans. Try it with different kinds of beans (I used white beans) and pestos.

No comments: