Sunday, March 27, 2011

New bed


Yesterday I finished buiding the new planting bed, replacing five smaller beds. To give you an idea of how much more planting space this will give me, the five beds were 160 square feet. This new bed is 432 square feet! This new planting space will be put to good use one I add some more compost and organic fertilizer.

On another note, I planted an additional 75 feet of beets yesterday. Beets take 60 days to mature and like the cool weather, so now is a good to plant. There is a risk that the weather will be too cold and the seeds will fail to germinate, or spring rains will rot the seeds in the ground (like last year during the historic floods in Rhode Island). But, seed is very inexpensive and I will plant a row of beet seed each week in order to hedge my bet against crop failure.

No comments: