Saturday, March 12, 2011

New planting beds


Little did I know when I posted about an early November snow storm that we would be starting one of our snowiest winters in recent memory here in Rhode Island. But today was beautiful with warm temps and sunny skies. So I spent the day outside doing a little clean up and looking at the projects for the upcoming season. This year I decided to continue the project of increasing planting space by creating long rows out of space occupied by smaller beds. Last year, I used bricks when I made long rows in a different planting area

This year I am going to use 6x6 lumber instead of the bricks. While the bricks work well, they do have some drawbacks. In the picture above you can see a part of the brick wall that fell over. Since we don't use mortar, the brick walls fall and have to be repaired fairly regularly. So, we are going to try the 6x6 lumber. I will post pictures as the project progresses.

No comments: