Friday, June 29, 2012

Lavender

There are so many reasons to like lavender. All year long the silver gray leaves create a wonderful look in the garden. In July (this year June), when the flowers bloom, you get the most amazing fragrance. These flowers attract honey bees that pollinate the flowers and other flowers and veggies in the garden.

I like to cut the flowers, tie them with a string and put them in the bathroom and kitchen for color and aroma. I also like to cook with lavender. You can put a few flowers with rice to add a wonderful exotic taste. Or use dried flowers in salad dressing or as a marinade. But my favorite way to use lavender is in sorbet. Blueberry lavender sorbet. Normally blueberries and lavender are ready for harvest at the same time. I combine the two and the results are mind blowing. This year the lavender is ready before the blueberries so I will have to harvest the lavender and be patient as the local blueberries ripen.

No comments: