Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Tomatoes

I posted about tomatoes almost three weeks ago when I planted the sprouts. Here is a link to that post. Since then, the plants have done well, establishing themselves and starting to grow. A few didn't make it, but that is usually the case when you plant out seedlings. Some have transplant shock, some are vulnerable to pests and some seem to whither for no reason at all.

I used my own organic granular fertilizer to feed the plants. It is made from cottonseed meal, phosphate rock, gypsum and lime. Lime is especially important to tomato plants so this past weekend I added some extra lime to the base of each tomato plant and worked it into the soil.

Lack of lime in the soil tomatoes grow in is really a lack of calcium. Some people use eggshells to add calcium, but I prefer lime. Lack of calcium can lead to blossom end rot, but so can irregular watering and too high a ph in the soil. The lesson to be learned is test your soil and, if needed, add lime. Water regularly (more about that later in the season) and add a good organic fertilizer without too much nitrogen, because nitrogen has the opposite effect of lime.

No comments: