Monday, June 4, 2012

Lettuce and Beets

Spring and early summer is prime growing season for so called "cool weather crops" like lettuce, arugula, beets, radishes and carrots. Right now we're harvesting quite a bit of lettuce (ten pounds a weeks or more).

I like growing head lettuce, but prefer growing loose leaf varieties. These mixes, or mesclun as they are commonly marketed, have a variety of leafs in them. Red and green, mild and spicy, tender and hardy, they offer a great variety for the plate and palatte.

One of my favorite leafs to add to the mix is beet greens. I plant the beet seeds thickly which means a lot of plants will germinate. When the beet leaves are a couple of inches high, I will thin them out to allow the root to fully form. But, I never throw out the thinnings. The smaller plants are added to the lettuce mix for a flavorful punch. The larger beet greens are great to sautee in a pan with olive oil and garlic.

No comments: