Sunday, June 17, 2012

Dill

Dill is one of the many herbs I grow at One Love Farm. Seven weeks ago, I posted a picture showing the dill seedlings I transplanted. Here is a link to that post. As you can see from the picture posted today, the dill has really done well.

Lots of people use dill for pickling, and it's terrific for that use. But I like dill fresh, chopped in salads or in a marinade. It adds a nice fresh flavor to greens and veggies. I also dry dill and use it in an herb blend with thyme, rosemary, sage, parsley and oregeno.

In a couple of weeks, dill will flower and start to go to seed. Even the flower shoots are flavorful. Dill is easy to grow. It just needs lots of sun and well drained soil. You don't have to fertilize much and you can get several fresh cuttings of dill during the season.

No comments: